Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.

Throat problems and trouble swallowing. What could it be?

Customer Question

I have a throat problem. I am losing my voice, getting deeper and starting to have trouble swallowing. I do have reflux which I am taking Dexilant for. I am a smoker and take a low dose of blood pressure meds as well.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 months ago.

Dear customer,

What is your age and gender? Did you any investigations such as endoscopy done? Since when do you have these symptoms? Is your reflux well controlled? Did you consult your doctor regarding this? Do you have any other symptoms such as cough, heartburn, or nausea? Do you have trouble swallowing solids or liquids or both?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I am 65...I had a throat looked at 3 year ago...was told my reflux was horrible...and to start taking 2 pills a day, which I did, but it's getting worse, have had it for 7 months
no cough, yes heartburn. yes I have trouble swallowing both at times
Unfortunately it seems your symptoms have progressed despite taking 2 pills a day. Your GERD is not being adequately controlled. In such cases where medications are unable to control the symptoms and the progression of the disease, and especially when there are extra esophageal symptoms which you are having, surgery may be the recommended option. However before recommending surgery your doctor needs to do few investigations such as endoscopic examination of the esophagus to know the reason for the difficulty in swallowing. Also complications of GERD may be looked for when doing the endoscopy. This examination will then lead your doctor to suggest whether surgery may be the recommended option for you or to change your medications or increase in dosage along with lifestyle modifications. Please do not delay in consulting your doctor regarding this to avoid complications due to uncontrolled GERD.