DIEGO BONILLA
DIEGO BONILLA, Doctor
Experience:  Pulmonary/ Critical Care at Boston University
93381398

For the past year, I have undergone a hiatal hernia surgery

Customer Question

For the past year, I have undergone a hiatal hernia surgery and had several endoscopies following up on Barret's Syndrome, along with three "burn" procedures for Barrett's. Now, I have dry mouth several times a day and I am breathing something that leaves a white, chalky and sticky residue around my mouth, particularly when exerting myself. The top of my mouth stays sticky and the front of my tongue often feels burned. It has affected my tastebuds day to day. My lips are so sticky it feels like I have put glue on them.
HELP!!
Category: Medical
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 4 months ago.

Hello

This is Dr. Bonilla

I understand your concerns. The symptoms you described are likely from GERD. Barrett's esophagus sometimes requires cryotherapy. The sphincter can be affected and cause worsening on symptoms like in your case. Besides maximizing your anti-acid medication, you should avoid caffeine, smoking and large meals 2 hours before going to be. Try to keep hydrated and always take your medication. If the symptoms persist you should talk to your GI doctor to look for more definitive treatments like fundoplication. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please rate my answer.

Thanks