Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO

I beleive my son has pulled his groin. I'm out of town and

Customer Question

I beleive my son has pulled his groin. I'm out of town and I'd like to know what to do.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Took him to the er here then follow up with a ortho. But it's a small town and they weren't much help. He seems like he's feeling better but sometimes at night it seems to tense up.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 2 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Stan, here to help you.
Board Certified with 40 years of Patient Care. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thanks
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 2 months ago.

A muscle strain in the groin area can be painful but not dangerous. If he is over 12, a NSAID such as Ibuprofen or Aleve will help reduce the inflammation and discomfort. Also, warm moist compresses or ice packs (which ever makes him feel better) will also help reduce the discomfort. Unless he is in a great deal of pain, there is no need to rush him to an Orthopedist. I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. Please leave a positive rating of 3-5 stars. This is how I am credited for my response. Thank you and I hope your son feels better soon.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Is it normal for it to tense up at times?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 2 months ago.

Yes, he can have muscle spasm depending on what he is doing or the position he is in. As long as his leg does not get pale or bluish, or it begins to swell, he should fully recover in about 5-7 days.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Should he stay off of it? Or as long as it's not in a spasm use it?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 2 months ago.

He should stay off of it for 1-2 days, and then ambulate normally. I would suggest no running for at least a week.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This happened a few weeks ago. It starts feeling better then after a few days or so he had a spasm. Is it normal for him to walk with a slight limp?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 2 months ago.

After several weeks it is possible that he developed a hernia and this is causing the pain and spasm. In this case a visit to the Orthopedist is required. No, he should not have a limp.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 2 months ago.

Have you taken your son to the Orthopedist?