Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

W,M, 64 YEAR OLD, CHRONIC PAIN PATIENT. LOST ABILITY TO

Customer Question

W,M, 64 YEAR OLD, CHRONIC PAIN PATIENT. LOST ABILITY TO URINATE WHEN I RESTARTED MORPHINE TREATMENT.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David

morphine can cause constipation and hard stools which can put pressure on your prostate gland which can cause you difficulty with urination.

opiates like morphine can decreases the sensation of bladder fullness by partially inhibiting the parasympathetic nerves that innervate the bladder

also opiates have been shown to increase the sphincter tone of the urinary bladder via sympathetic over-stimulation, resulting in increased bladder outlet resistance

you may need something else to help fight your pain

or you may need to use a straight catheter to get urine out of your bladder if you need to stay on morphine

you need to see a urologist about this

have you had a urinary catheter before?

there are also medications like flomax and hytrin which can help you urinate and medications which can help shrink your prostate over time like proscar and avodart which can help as well

let me know if you have other questions.