Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Hii, I received my test results back and received the

Customer Question

hii
JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: I received my test results back and received the following results but I am not sure how to read them.HSV 1/2 IGG, HERPSELECT
TYPE SPECIFIC AB
HSV 1 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC - >5.00 H (OUT OF RANGE)HSV 1/2 IGG, HERPSELECT
TYPE SPECIFIC AB
HSV 1 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC - >3.77 H (out of range)
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: sorry i meant :
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: HSV 1/2 IGG, HERPSELECT
TYPE SPECIFIC AB
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 11 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

You provided results for the same test, HSV 1 IGG Type Specific AB.

Was the same test repeated?

Or was one of these HSV 2 Type Specific AB?

Why was the test done?

Have you ever had symptoms of oral or genital herpes?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please disregard my previous question and see the following query:I received my test results back and received the following results but I am not sure how to read them.HSV 1/2 IGG, HERPSELECT
TYPE SPECIFIC ABHSV 1 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC - >3.77 H (out of range)HSV 2 IGG TYPE SPECIFIC - >0.10 (IN RANGE)could you please explain to me if i'm infected ? i have done the test coz my partner was positive for HSV1 ..i only had mouth infection "white things in my inside lips"

Thank you for the additional information. This makes more sense, although the HSV 2 results should either give the result as 0.10 or as <0.10. A result of >0.10 has no meaning, so if it says this on your report, it is likely a typo.

IGG antibodies to either type of HSV indicates that you were infected by the virus at some time in the past. It takes several weeks to a few months for IGG antibodies to form, but once your body starts making the antibodies, your body will continue to make these antibodies for the rest of your life. Any value above 1.10 is a positive result.

So, these results indicate that you were infected with HSV 1 at some point, but not by HSV 2.

The blood test does not indicate the site of the infection. The majority of HSV1 infections are manifested as oral infections and the majority of HSV 2 infections are manifested as genital infections, but there also is a small amount of overlap. If there has ever been symptoms, that can help to determine the site of the infection. In your case, if you have ever had cold sores, even as a child, then that would confirm that you have an oral infection by HSV 1.

It is important to note that the majority of people in the US are infected with HSV 1. And the time of greatest incidence of infection is as children. Many people do not remember any prior symptoms, either because it does not cause characteristic sores or because it happened so young that they do not remember. So, the absence of symptoms does not change the fact that you were infected at some point.

It is also true that once antibodies form, you can never become infected again.

The odds are likely that you were infected before you ever met your partner, but the test cannot provide that. Cold sores can look like white ulcers inside the lips, and if you can remember the first time that you had such sores, that would be a better indication of when you were infected.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thank you for your quick response. Just for clarity, 3.77 H for my HSV1 results Does it mean that i'm currently infected with the virus or i had it and its gone now? also, it says just 0.10 (no < or > ) for HSV2 , does it mean positive or negative? plz advisemany thanks

Once you are infected with either type of HSV, you are infected for the rest of your life. The likelihood and frequency of flare-ups decrease over time, but the infection never completely goes away.

I knew that it could not say >0.10, as I noted above, and my answer was with that understanding. A result of 0.10 or <0.10 are both negative, which is why I said that you have not been infected with HSV 2.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
do i need to do more tests? thanks

Not because of these lab tests.

There is no need to ever repeat the HSV 1 IGG antibody test, because it is known that it will remain positive.

As for the HSV 2 test, it would not need to be repeated if you are in and remain in a committed mutually monogamous relationship. However, if you have multiple sexual partners over time, it is reasonable to check the HSV 2 antibody test periodically. In addition, if you ever develop genital sores, it would be appropriate to be checked, either by a herpes culture or by performing the HSV 2 antibody test. But these recommendations would apply to all sexually active individuals.

If you have any further questions, please let me know. Once I ha ve answered all your questions, please remember to provide a positive rating so that I am credited for assisting you.

I have to step away from the computer for a while but will be back later today. If you have any further follow-up questions, I will address them at that time.