Dr. Ravoof
Dr. Ravoof, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced Physician in the field of Medicine and Surgery.

I am 51 been on it for four years. I am about 15 pounds over

Customer Question

I am 51 been on it for four years. I am about 15 pounds over weight (in my opinion). My blood pressure is stabilized well. I sold my company (autism center); therefore, my stress level is way down. I exercise regularly and want to see if I am o.k. now without it. I can monitor at home and would be careful. I have a 21 year old with autism and need to live forever. I have called my doc and a week ago and haven't heard back
JA: Is this consistent, or is there some fluctuation in blood pressure?
Customer: no fluctuation and its benicare htc
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have mitochondria disorder but managed with supplements so not bad woman often times ave blood pressure problem in my family. None of which to weight related etc
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Ravoof replied 2 months ago.

Dear customer,

In most individuals there is no causative factor for the high blood pressure, and this type of high blood pressure, called primary (essential) hypertension, tends to develop gradually over many years. Therefore though stress and weight gain have a role to play in increased blood pressure, still your blood pressure may remain high even with weight loss, exercise, and lowered stress. However with exercise, weight loss, and decreased stress your blood pressure may lower towards normal. Therefore I would suggest keeping a log book of your daily blood pressure and showing it to your doctor. If it is consistently normal and low then your doctor may suggest to take only Benicar instead of the combination Benicar HCT. Then again if your blood pressure continues to be low and normal with only Benicar, finally your doctor after a month of only Benicar may go ahead with discontinuing the Benicar. You need to regularly monitor your blood pressure during this period of trial.

Take care.

Please rate the answer with a positive rating.