DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I recently had a colonoscopy which ended with me in

Customer Question

I recently had a colonoscopy which ended with me in emergency surgery for a ruptured/torn ascending colon. This Was Not a perforation. Could the air used in the procedure have caused this.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 7 months ago.

Hello

It is not possible to say what happened.

The air would not usually do this.

You might have had a perforation that then became a tear.

There could have been a diverticulosis lesion that was disrupted.

What did the doctor say?

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions.

Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I went for a colonoscopy and woke up in the ICU. I have not spoken with the GI Doc after. I do have Diverticulosis but the pathology report on the ascending colon that was removed was negative. Trauma Surg did tell me that the GI physician mentioned that he was not getting much return gas during the procedure and that my colon was very tortuous .
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 7 months ago.

The diverticulosis, if inflammed, is a risk factor for perforation.

I suggest you talk with the doctor, and get a copy of the procedure report.

The explanations will be in there.

please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent (5)—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 7 months ago.

Hi there

• This is a very rare complication and certainly difficult anatomy such as tortuous colon is a predisposing risk factor. Other potential risk factors indluce advanced age and therapeutic intervention such as polyp removal. Diverticulosis is not a risk factor
  • If you are still concerned, I would advise you to discuss it with the physician who performed the colonoscopy. He/she is the best person to answer you question. You may just give him/her call and ask

Best wishes

Expert:  DrRussMD replied 6 months ago.

Hello

You should take a look at this article.

http://jnci.oxfordjournals.org/content/95/3/230.full

Diverticulosis was definitely a risk factor for perforation.

This increases with age.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Find me by request as needed for correct, safe, and up to date answers.

Please click a positive rating on this post if you appreciated my answer. We are only paid per rating on our own post.