Experience:  Pulmonary/ Critical Care at Boston University

The length of my liver (I had an Ultrasound performed,

Customer Question

The length of my liver (I had an Ultrasound performed, because I am Epileptic) is 16.4cm. It looks good (said the physician) and I feel great and am in excellent shape. Is 16.4cm too large? I don't know if this is a fair question, since we are all different.
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: Definitely. It was for my Annual Physical. I take Dilantin. Have since I was 13 and haven't had a seizure in over 18 years.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Don't believe so.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 2 months ago.

This is Dr. Bonilla.

I understand your concerns. A normal liver size depends on height, sex and body mass. The normal size in the average population is 14 cm +/- 1.7 cm. However in tall men can be bigger. In you case the size is in the upper limit but still consider a normal variation. In patients on dilantin more than the size of the liver, it's important to check the function. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Please leave a positive rating to be compensated for the time I took to answer your question.