Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

We have yearly ppd tests at work. So mine is the one that

Customer Question

We have yearly ppd tests at work. So mine is the one that always gets red. So today at 46 hours after I had it looked at. The nurse said she could feel a tiny bump but it was negative and she put 0mm on my paper. So I had the rn look at it and she said she felt nothing. That the other lpn must have been pressing down and felt the muscle in my arm. She said you are supposed to barely run your hand over the skin to feel for induration. So which one is right. The pic with the arrows was before she looked at it and the one without the arrows is now. I can barely even see any red and usually it stays red for days!
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

Hi, this is Dr Stan, here to help you.
Board Certified with 40 years of Patient Care. I will respond with my answer shortly. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Also just a side note. You can feel a bump on my other arm in almost the same exact spot..I think the lpn was feeling my muscle.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

The pictures and your description are of a negative PPD test. There is no reason to be concerned. I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. Please leave a positive rating of 3-5 stars. This is how I am credited for my response. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Well the RN reads them all the time bc she also works in a urgent care practice. The one that said she felt a tiny bump was an lpn. Our nurse practitioner and pa said it looked fine to them and they didn't feel anything except maybe a tiny bump (but she compared it to my muscle on the exact same side and aaid it felt the same maybe just a tint bigger) but they were also pressing on it. The pa said it didn't even look raised to her. I'm sure you would be able to see a positive a picture correct?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

Yes, the picture is negative as is you description. A positive PPD is raised and at least 15mm in diameter. Your PPD is negative.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it doesn't look raised to you in the picture? Does it matter to have it read at 48 or 72...which do you prefer? Some of our nurses make you wait until*****if you had a local reaction bc of sensitive skin or something that it would have time to go away so you could get an accurate reading.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

the test is to be read at 48 hours, if suspicious it is rechecked at 72 hours. It does not meet the criteria of a positive test.

Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

https://s.yimg.com/fz/api/res/1.2/HMpcbDBeU4rvhrTUjWdJZQ--/YXBwaWQ9c3JjaGRkO2g9MjU5MjtxPTk1O3c9MTkzNg--/http://twishdadish.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/ppd-2.jpg

take a look at this, which is positive.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is just curiosity..so if it is suspicious and at 72 hours it is fine, then it's negative right?
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

That is correct.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Our rn said you can look at it and tell if it's positive or not. She said you don't even have to run your hand across a positive one because it is that obvious.
Expert:  Dr Stan replied 4 months ago.

Your RN is correct. I have tested thousands of patients over the past 40 years and I only need look at the result to determine if it is positive or negative.