Dr Josh
Dr Josh, Doctor
Experience:  Medicine doctor, PGCSD(dermatology)
6740150

My 9 year old daughter has been complaining of a "lump" in

Customer Question

My 9 year old daughter has been complaining of a "lump" in her throat for a few weeks. It began after a stomach bug she had over Father's Day weekend. She says it feels like something is stuck in her throat when she eats- "like snot" or mucus - and that she has to drink water to get the food to go down. She's also been drinking a ton more water than usual and has had two instances where she suddenly had a severe dry/cotton mouth even though she'd been drinking lots of water.
JA: How long have you had the lump? Is it hard or soft?
Customer: Since Father's day weekend. She says it feels soft.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

Myself Dr Josh. and I’m happy to help with your question today.

Please provide me the following information so that I can address your concern-

Has she taken any antibiotics or pain killers for the flu?

Does she have any pain or burning sensation in upper abdomen?

Waiting for your reply…

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No antibiotics. Tylenol for a headache. Yes, she's had a burning sensation up by her sternum, but only twice.
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

Dear customer

Thank you for the quick reply.

The symptoms your 9 year old daughter is having of feeling of soft "lump" in her throat or feeling of something stuck in her throat when she eats since for last few weeks is called as globus sensation.That is persistent or intermittent sensation of feeling of lump or foreign body or something else stuck in throat.

Its most common causes are:gastroesophageal reflux disease(GERD),abnormalities of the upper esophageal sphincter,stress,psychological or psychiatric disorders.

She may need upper endoscopy.Barium swallow test may be required.

The most probable & most common cause is gastric reflux(GERD).The burning sensation sensation in her sternum firther supports GERD as underlying cause.

There is nothing serious or dangerous .The exact diagnosis can only be made after physical examination & tests.So I advice you to make an appointment with her doctor & then accordingly she will be prescribed with medications to treat gastric reflux(GERD).

Hope this helped.

Please leave positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today we only get after positive feedback.Bonus is highly appreciated.

Is there anything else that you would like to know.I am happy to address your follow-up questions. Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Does this also explain her increased fluid intake, constant thirst, and sudden cotton mouth spells?
Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

When she feels something struck in throat,she tries to drink more water,thinking to swallow the 'thing' stucked in throat.This results in more urination & hence more thirst to drink water.This is a vicious cycle.

Once she will be treated for acid reflux/GERD her all symptoms will go away on its own.

Hope this helped.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh

Expert:  Dr Josh replied 4 months ago.

Just checking in to see how things are going.

Have you consulted her doctor?

What was final diagnosis made?

Please use the REPLY BUTTON to reply back to me.I am happy to hep you.

Thank you.

Kind Regards

Dr.Josh