Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Trauma to lower medial shin, above ankle. Bruising above and

Customer Question

Blunt trauma to lower medial shin, above ankle. Bruising above and below. Swelling in ankle and foot.
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: Treating with aspirin, hot compress, and elevation. Seems to be improving. Slowly. Two weeks tomorrow. Painful when I first start walking.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 6 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

It is not clear what question you are asking. If you are asking whether it is common for it to take longer than two weeks for this type of injury to heal, then the answer is yes. If the only tissue that is injured is the skin, then bruises of the skin would usually be well healed by two weeks. However, if the injury involves trauma to a bone or deeper fibrous tissue, such as tendons or ligaments, then it is common for it to take over 2 weeks to heal, sometimes 1-2 months to heal completely.

As long as there is slow but steady improvement, there is usually no reason for concern. However, if the symptoms are not slowly improving or are getting worse, then it would be more worrisome and it would be appropriate to be seen.

Is this the information that you are seeking?

Or do you have another question?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Helpful. Concern is blot clot. Anything I can check for or additional preventive measures I should take. Lump, 3" above ankle, is slowly getting smaller. No pain when elevated. Pain when sitting or walking. Like cramping. Along shin bone, and surrounding area.

It is true that any injury to the leg carries some risk for a blood clot, but the greatest risk is when the injury limits activity. In the situation that you describe, there is less concern as long as the symptoms are gradually improving, but if there is worsening pain or swelling, then a blood clot would be one of the considerations, and is one of the reasons why it would be appropriate to be seen, as I noted above.

The primary preventive measure is to maintain normal activity levels, particularly walking or other leg activities. It is fine to elevate and use compresses several times per day, but you do not want to spend most of the day with the leg elevated.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok. Thanks for your help. I will get in to see someone but am remote, on a boat, for at least another week. Left the morning of the accident, when photo was taken. So am limited in treatment options for awhile yet. Can walk, wiggle toes, etc. Swelling is down. Right foot and lower ankle are only slightly more swollen then left. Bruising is apparent on top of toes and right side of right foot. Pain is a 3 on scale of 10 being worst.

From your description, it is not a problem that you cannot seek care for now, and as long as it is steadily improving, then it does not need to be seen even when you are no longer remote.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks. I appreciate it.

You are most welcome.