Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic

Have a grandson 6 yrs oldwho has a fowl odor to s breath

Customer Question

have a grandson 6 yrs oldwho has a fowl odor to his breath espcialy when he wakes in the morning. he had it when he was younger but it went away for years but it has come back, ANY IDEAS.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 2 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

Foul smelling breath is typically caused by some sort of bacteria.

The 3 most common locations for bacteria causing foul breath are the tongue, teeth or lungs.

In this age, it's likely the teeth since they have a hard time flossing and occasionally brushing regularly.

If it was his lungs, he would have had pulmonary issues by now such as shortness of breath, cough or frequent lung infections.

I would advise you to take him to the dentist for a thorough cleaning and to teach him how to properly floss.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question.

Thank you!