Dr Stan
Dr Stan, Doctor
Experience:  Physician at Stanley L Simpson, DO
93248684

I got lab results back and i see on a urine culture the

i got lab results back and i see on a urine culture the following.
beta hemolytic streptococcus group b 10,000-25,000 colony forming
what the heck is this? my doctor didnt mention this.
is it the same strep throat bacteria

Hi, Dr. Stan here to help. This is normal bacteria from the skin/urethra/bladder. With 10,000 to 25,000 colony it is well below the quantity that would even be considered to cause an infection (at least 100,000 or more). Was there any other things like WBC,s or RBC,s or crystals reported? If not, your urine is essentially normal. I am here to answer any additional questions you may have. Please leave a positive rating of 3-5 stars. This is how I am credited for my response. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

wbc are normal, why would the lab paper say abnormal.

It is normal skin bacteria, not usually found in the urine unless the sample was contaminated.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

the issue is i been having sinus infection, and mucus draining on my left throat.i wonder if this is related. anyway, i am on levofloxacin 500mb for this sinus infection. will this treat this in the urine?

The Levofloxacin will treat the strep. It may have been transported from the sinus through your bloodstream into the kidneys and then to the urinary bladder.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

this drainage has been going on for 3 months and just last week was diagnosed as sinus infection with cat scans, i am nervous about if i am damaged.

Your sinus infection is being treated with an appropriate antibiotic and will resolve. The urine culture findings are essentially normal, the strep is a contaminate only. There is no reason to be concerned of any long term damage to either your sinuses or your kidneys from the infection. Don't let your anxiety interfere with you getting better.