Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic
93434137

I Iam having a bad coughing attack several time in day and

Customer Question

I
Iam having a bad coughing attack several time in day and night it last for couple minuet .what cuase it and what can I do about it. thank for your help
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David

you could have a viral or bacterial lung infection causing your cough. are you coughing up phlegm or fluid? are you having fever?

you could be having some aspiration or trickling of saliva or acid reflux from the esophagus down into your lungs.

as we get older, the muscles in the throat and vocal cords can get weaker and this can allow saliva, liquids we drink, stomach acid reflux to trickle into the trachea and lungs and irritate the lungs which can cause bad coughing attacks.

a barium swallow study can look if liquids like saliva or water or coffee are trickling into your lungs. this is called aspiration.

you should talk to your doctor about these issues and see if testing is needed for you.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 4 months ago.

Do you have a history of wheezing, asthma or COPD?