Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.

I take Adderall and 300mg of Effexor two hours before It, I

Customer Question

I take Adderall and 300mg of Effexor two hours before It
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: I take 5htp. My doctor called today to say my serotonin dropped from 79 to 7 in two months so I cut a 5htp in half so it would be 50 mg I didn't know I shouldn't cut them in half. What will happen
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I been suffering from major depression for 30 years. My serotonin was 6 and that was taking 300 mg of Effexor. My serotonin went up taking 5htp not a lot
JA: How long have you been feeling this way? Have you reached out to anyone about this yet?
Customer: Just my husband
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome.

5HTP comes in capsule forms. So, cutting it in half is never precise and always results in a non accurate dosing since, the powder in the capsule shell can fall.

Nothing will happen to the body with this nor does it change the chemical composition of the drug, its just that the proper dosing is not administered unless you have precision measurement scales. 5HTP comes in 50 mg formulation as well, so if you require 50 mg dose, you should get that from the pharmacy and that is the right way instead of cutting them in half.

Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 2 months ago.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Please do not forget to leave a positive rating by clicking on stars on top right corner.

Wish you good health.