Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

My father broke a rib (I beleive it was a back one or two)

Customer Question

My father broke a rib (I beleive it was a back one or two) and ever since he's been having bowel problems (no firm stools and racing to the bathroom). Is it possible that the healing process for the broken ribs affected his digestive and bowl system?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for this question

I think he probably picked up a bug in the hospital

There is a particular bug called c diff that can do this

He needs tested for it

it is a stool test

let me know if you have other questions.if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you todaywe only get credit for helping clients after positive feedbackyou can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questionshere is my website if you need to reach me again: for using
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He was never in the hospital. He has a home care physician and technician for X-rays.
Do you still think it sounds like c diff and can it last for 1.5 years in the system?

Yes, I do.

either that or meds.

what meds is he on?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Carvedilol, Warfarin, SynThyroid (I think these are the main ones). He had open heart surgery in 2007 and has been great with his medications ever since -- still no heart issues and he's in to his cardiologist every 6-12 months. Also, he has blood tests every 2-6 weeks for his warfarin levels.

I have to think that the c diff is the likely cause then

get his stool tested

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That was done by his primary twice and no positive results. Can these c diff test results be inaccurate on more than one occasion?

Yes, they can

one positive test is about 60% accurate.

two tests is 80% accurate

3 tests is 90%

if this was done he needs a colonoscopy

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
his primary said he should have a colonoscopy again but he refuses (he will not go into a hospital and/or drs. office). Don't they now have the colonoscopy done in the in home tests? Also if he was diagnosed with c diff what would they prescribe that the primary may not have. And I'm not so sure his primary didn't prescribe something based on his refusal for the colonoscopy anyway (or can he). And what would be prescribed?

No,, they only do colonoscopies in the hospital

they could give a course of flagyl (antibiotic) to see if it helps

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Couldn't this kill him at his older age? It doesn't really matter because he will not go to the hospital (his father was a doctor and when then went into the hospital they never came back). I know it's unreasonable but there has to be a solution. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place here. Help, please!

yes, it could

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The colonoscopy or not having it done could kill him. Or both? What is the medication for c diff called?

No, the c diff could kill him I meant.

The med for c diff is called flagyl

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he can get Flagyl or Vancocin from his primary?

please don't forget a positive rating. I appreciate it

If you have more questions, just reply