Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I noticed some blood at the toilet paper and also inside the

Customer Question

I noticed some blood at the toilet paper and also inside the toilet after bowel movement (watery stool) for several times....should i be worried about colon or anal cancer
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now from what you are describing this can be due to a number of conditions, given that you have watery stools which is associated with blood is present along with it i would first be concerned about an intestinal infection rather than cancer. This could be bacterial gastroenteritis especially if you have been having diarrhea over the past couple of days. If this is the case then you would need stool examination and cultures for confirmation and you would need to be started on antibiotics to solve the problem.

Another cause of this can be diverticulitis especially if you are above the age of 45, this can cause abdominal pain, blood in stool as well as diarrhea. If this is the case then you would need a CT scan of the abdomen for confirmation and antibiotics for treatment.

Now colon cancer can certainly cause blood in the stools but i would keep that a last diagnosis given that you have watery stools which are more consistent with an infection. However these symptoms DO indicate that you need to go see your doctor IMMEDIATELY and get examined and started on antibiotics ASAP.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,