Nadim Al-Mubarak
Nadim Al-Mubarak,
Experience:  MD at University Hospital Case Medical Center

When presenting with prolonged intestinal pain, nausea,

Customer Question

When presenting with prolonged intestinal pain, nausea, weight loss and explosive stools and all functional causes have been eliminated and having taken strong antibiotics is stool testing a recommended or standard diagnostic tool
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 months ago.

I am Doctor Thomas, a double board certified doctor in internal medicine and integrative medicine, with advanced training in several other fields. I am a clinician of over 20 years experience. I will give you an initial answer or ask you a question, but be sure to use reply to expert to communicate with me as needed.

Specifically C-difficile testing after antibiotic use.

This overgrowth can become serious and life threatening.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent [5]—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here

Expert:  Nadim Al-Mubarak replied 3 months ago.

• If you took the Antibiotics to treat these symptoms, meaning these symptoms pre-existed the Antibiotic usage, then C Difficile is not the problem
  • If your symptoms started after using the Antibiotics, then C-Diff is likely and needs to be checked for although it is not the only top possibility
  • Variety of Colon inflammatory diseases and growths exist and need to be screened for.
  • If you have not seen a gastroenterologist, you need to see one who specializes in Colon and motility disorders. Evaluation would include stool analysis, lab tests and colonoscopy

Best wishes