Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

Why does human feces float in the toilet?

Customer Question

Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr.Anil replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I’d be happy to assist you.

Do you have associated bloating,flatulence?

Mucus in stool?

Any medical history?

Are you taking any medications?

Waiting for your response.

Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for this question. Floating stools in water usually means that the fat content of the stools is high which can lead to them floating on water. This would also cause pale colored stools, stools which are difficult to flush and stick to the toilet bowl. Now presence of excess fat in the stools usually means that the fat is not being absorbed in the intestine, this would occur in a condition which is known as malabsorption syndrome. This is made up of several disorders which can include conditions like chronic pancreatitis or even celiac disease. Now the first step in determining what is the cause of floating stools would be to get a stool test done for ova and parasites which would rule out parasitic infestations. Secondly you would need a fecal fat estimation test done to determine if there is excess fat is present in the stools. Once that is done you can proceed to more specialized tests which can include colonoscopy and even a biopsy of the intestine. Several blood tests may also be needed here. In most cases of malabsorption you could have diarrhea, weight loss and loss of appetite and even symptoms like hair loss etc.

So if the stools are consistently floating on water it would be wise to get this evaluated by visiting your doctor.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,