Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

My daughter is 12 weeks old, and running a rectal

Customer Question

My daughter is 12 weeks old, and running a rectal temperature of 100.3, and has been since around 7PM this evening. She also was very sleepy today and snorty (like she might have been stuffy) What I'm worried about is a Late Onset Group B Strep infection. I was GBS positive in pregnancy and given antibiotics during labor, but I do know antibiotics do not do a thing for late onset GBS infection. Should I be concerned? She seems sleepy, but still is eating, smiling, cooing. She has been spitting up quite a bit (curdled milk) She is fussy and grunts after she eats. She is formula fed and on zantac for acid reflux. I've been giving Tylenol but it only takes it down for the 4 hours. I am very concerned that complications may be arising due to GBS.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

As you may know, the common symptoms of late onset GBS disease is fever, difficulty feeding, lethargy, irritability, difficulty breathing, or turning blue, also called cyanosis. From your description, she has a mild fever. Although you say she is sleepy, since she will arouse to be eating, smiling, and cooing, she would not be considered lethargic. You describe some feeding difficulty, but some of these symptoms could also be related to the acid reflux that is being treated with the Zantac. However, if these symptoms are worse over the last day, then she may be said to have feeding difficulty.

If the only symptom is the temperature of 100.3, being sleepy without being lethargic, and congested, it would be OK to monitor her for now to see if the symptoms resolve spontaneously. However, if she starts having higher fever, lethargy, worsening feeding difficulties, or any of the other above symptoms, then it would be appropriate for her to be seen.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.