Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have a dark, freckle-like spot that has just appeared

Customer Question

I have a dark, freckle-like spot that has just appeared between my second and third toes. the top of the foot near the toes is swollen and painful. This is the second time this has appeared
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: woke up with it this morning. But this is the second time. The first time was about 2 weeks ago, and lasted for about 3 days
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: don't think so
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Could you attach a picture of the area?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did you receive it?

Yes, I received it.

This has an appearance of a small bruise. Did the first episode occur in the same location?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
exactly the same location. And also woke up with it. The spot is not painful, but the toes are...especially the joints, and the bottom of the two toes, where they meet at the top of the foot
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The spot has a slightly raised roughness to it, as opposed to a smooth, internal bruiseThe last time it lasted 3 days, and then disappeared

The most likely cause of these symptoms would be from inflammation in the foot. The swelling and the pain in the top of the foot and the joints is from the inflammation, and the bruising is because of a secondary effect on the blood vessels of the toes. The roughness of the skin is more likely related to the swelling of the inflammation, rather than from the bruising.

Recurrent bruising can also be related to recurrent minor trauma, such as from certain shoes, but it usually would be more of a problem when on your feet, rather than waking with the problem. Many people find that inflammatory conditions are worse when they first wake up.

At this point, it can help to use local care along with an oral anti-inflammatory medicine. Local care would include ice and elevation to help ease the swelling. After a few days, moist heat will be helpful to ease the inflammation. An over the counter anti-inflammatory medicine, such as ibuprofen or naproxen, will also usually help ease the inflammation and promote healing.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The obvious concerns are a melanoma, or something diabetes related. If it's a scratch/irritant/bruise I can live with it no problem until it subsides..... But the concern is the reappearance, in the same place, with the same symptoms

A melanoma would not occur for 3 days, resolve, and then recur 2 weeks later, whereas it is common for inflammatory conditions to recur in the same location. Diabetes can cause the skin to be more susceptible to damage or bruising, but the management would be the same as noted above.

Please let me know if I can provide any additional information.