Michael Salama
Michael Salama,
Experience:  Medical director at San Miguel Medical Clinic

Last night I got drunk and fell onto a nightstand, injuring

Customer Question

Hi, my name is***** night I got drunk and fell onto a nightstand, injuring my manubrium. I don't know if it is broken or chipped, but there is swelling, and a constant pain. Should I go to the ER?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I hurt all night. I thought I was having a heart attack because I had blacked out and did not remember falling. Coughing, deep breathing trying to get out of bed all are excruciating.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No. My question is: I am poor and have no medical insurance. The ER can't really help me, right? They will just say, "Yup, it's broken." and I will owe $2000 that I don't have.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Michael Salama replied 3 months ago.

Hello this is Dr. Salama MD,

Yes, please go to the ER ASAP.

You will need a Chest X ray to evaluate your sternum and determine whether or not any of your ribs have been fractured as well.

I am concerned about your breathing and the severity of your symptoms.

It is possible that a rib could fracture and puncture your lung which is a much more serious issue that can be easily ruled out.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

If not, please don't forget to leave a positive rating as that's the only way I get credit for answering your question.

Thank you!