Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years experience in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I had some skin cancers removed (scrape / burn ) last Friday

Customer Question

I had some skin cancers removed (scrape / burn ) last Friday from my ankle, and the gravity flow caused the bandage to overflow and bleed. So when I got home, I changed the bandages a few times and had to clean up quite a bit of overflow blood with multiple alcohol prep wipes from the drug store. I guess the alcohol wipe gave me a false sense of security because I neglected to wash my hands after I finished. I took the rest of the afternoon with my leg up per doctors orders to stop the flow of gravity/blood to my ankle. It worked. I napped for a few hours, so any blood residue on my fingers would have dried. I didn't realize I should have washed hands, which I neglected to do; hours later that night I went to the drug store to purchase some milk with those same fingers and hands that had blood on them earlier. Now I feel guilty that I might have transmitted some blood borne pathogen to the store employee and facilities. A year ago I tested negative for Hep A, B, C and HIV (I am an abstainer so nothing has changed in that regard.) Am I worrying needlessly about contamination of the store employee and facilities ? Might it possibly be my own OCD complex which I struggle with ? Would the chances of hand to hand transmission of something blood borne be low or medium or nigher in this case? I've really been having a guilty conscience about it, so I could use some good medical advice to possibly alleviate or substantiate my fears. I am wondering what my responsibility is now in this case.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 4 months ago.

Hello!

There is no worry here..it is YOUR BLOOD!! You can't give yourself any of these infections !!

So you are fine ... No need worry of this situation!

I hope that this information is helpful for you

Let me know if you have further questions or concerns

I will be happy to get back with you

If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to leave positive feedback

Thank you and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

You are not placing anyone at risk from everything that you have described ....
Let me know if you have further questions
Best regards,
Anthony Bray MD