Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

I have swelling on the top of my foot from my toes to mid

Customer Question

I have swelling on the top of my foot from my toes to mid way up my foot. It really doesn't bother me much but it swells up every day and when get up in the AM it much less though never gone. Saw a podiatrist a year ago and she took an X-Ray. Nothing broken. Guessed that I had plantar fasciitis. I've done everything she recommended and it still swells without any improvement. There is a slight pain where my toes meet the foot but I barely notice it. I can't where any shoes but sandals, sneaks or clogs. Ugh. What is this?
JA: Any recent injuries? How long have you been dealing with the swelling?
Customer: two years
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Nothing she doesn't already know.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 2 months ago.

This is Dr David

swelling at the top of the foot can be from poor circulation in the foot or excessive salt intake

how old are you?

you should get a doppler ultrasound of your leg and foot to check for poor circulation in your legs.

salt in your diet from processed foods or eating out can cause you to retain more fluids and cause swelling.

lack of exercise can cause poor circulation in your legs and swelling as well.

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Well... First of all I am 60 years old. But NOT your conventional stereotypical 60 year old. I am athletic, I work out regularly, and constantly moving. I stand if on the computer. I am a heath nut! I avoid salt. I live on nuts, seed and veggies. This is happening to ONE foot and not the other. If I consumed tons of salt and lived a sedentary life wouldn't both feet be swollen?

I see.

yes, usually salt and poor circulation affects both feet.

but you could have some bad veins possibly in one foot causing swelling.

a doppler ultrasound of that foot could check for edema or vascular stenosis or poor circulation in one foot.

do get your cholesterol levels checked still. sometimes cholestrol can cause plaques in peripheral arteries which can cause stenosis or narrowing of blood vessels which can cause poor circulation.

keep eating healthy and exercising.

elevation of the foot when you are sitting down could help drain out some fluid.

compression stockings on that foot could help squeeze out excessive fluid.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I elevate every night. Guess no one can help me. Thank you

elevation is good

ask your doctor to get a doppler ultrasound scan of the foot and lower leg.

an angiogram procedure can also look at the blood vessels of the foot as well