Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I have had three liposarcomas removed, two in 2010 one was

Customer Question

I have had three liposarcomas removed, two in 2010 one was stage one cancer. Three weeks ago two more liposarcomas have been found growing in me. I was exposed to plutonium and agent orange while working on Johnston island from 1985 to 1995. Is the development of these liposarcomas a direct result to exposure?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Liposarcomas are rate cancers that arise in soft tissue. There are several clearly identified risk factors for development of liposarcomas. Radiation exposure has clearly been identified as a risk factor. There is also good evidence that certain chemical exposures increase the risk for liposarcomas. The evidence of the effect of Agent Orange on the incidence of liposarcoma is unclear, but when a cancer is rare, it is frequently difficult to detect an increase in risk. At present, the thinking is that there is some risk in someone with a history of Agent Orange exposure, but solid evidence is lacking.

So, there is better evidence of increased risk from radiation, but there is also a good chance that there is a risk associated with the Agent Orange exposure.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.