Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine

I'm wondering if a person lives with people who smoke meth

Customer Question

I'm wondering if a person lives with people who smoke meth but only in their with the door closed can that person text positive for meth?
JA: Have you seen a doctor about this yet? What medications are you taking?
Customer: It is my daughter's bf and out is his mom and her 2nd who smoke meth.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: Her bf.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 3 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your situation. Now if you are asking if a person can test positive for meth if they live with someone who smokes it, even if the door to their room is closed, then the answer is YES its possible for that person to test positive for meth but less likely. The only way the other person (your daughter's bf im assuming) would test positive for meth is that if she has been exposed to the smoke, which can occur even if they have the door closed because smoke or fumes can travel under the door and over time your daughters boyfriend might have inhaled enough of the smoke to test positive for meth. It is possible for this to occur. Usually the amount of smoke which is inhaled by your daughters boyfriend should not come back as a positive test for meth however in some cases due to repeated exposure to the smoke, it may cause a positive test and if this is the case then the sample should be sent for a GC/MS confirmatory test which should be able to determine the quantity of meth in his system as well as determining if the positive test result was actually a false positive to any other medication that he might be using.

So in summary, the fact is that it CAN cause a positive result however he would have to exposed to a large quantity of smoke in order yo test as positive.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

So in summary

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.