Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

My wife got tested and the value came as 0.81.and the lab

Customer Question

my wife got tested for TSH and the value came as 0.81.and the lab reference value is 0.25 -5 mmol.does she require any medication.
JA: When was the last time you had your levels checked? Have you noticed any weight loss or weight gain?
Customer: ya she had any medical termination of pregnancyafter viral fever as she noticed some spotting. so we worried for the baby annd asked for medical termination.even after bleeding continued for 1month and scan was repeated and the remeanants of fetal tissue was there ,so they did DNC. EVEN AFTER BLEEDING DID NOT STOP. SO THEY KEPT ON HARMONE REPALCEMENT FOR ONE MONTH. THEN BLEEDING STOOPED. SHE HAD WIGHT LOSS AT THIS PERIOD. THIS HAPPENED 4 MONTHS BEFORE. NOW SHE IS BETWEEN 77-79 KG CONSTANTLY SINCE 3 MONTHS. THIS TSH REPORT WAS 3 MONTHS BACK.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: NOTHING.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

This TSH level is normal and does not need any treatment. It is not worrisome that someone is close to the lower limit of the normal range. There are actually some normal people that are slightly outside the normal range, because the normal range is defined to include 95% of normal people.

Whether she needs any further hormone replacement treatment would depend on her bleeding pattern, and that decision will not be affected by the TSH of 0.81.

If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.