Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution

Dear doctor, Im 19 years old, and a cocaine user years now

Customer Question

Dear doctor,
Im 19 years old, and a cocaine user for 2 years now im trying to quit at the moment and i only do it weekly (instead of former daily)
My problem is that i have a big fear of having a heart attack, last night i did cocaine with MDMA and drank alcohol with it till in the early morning.
I went to sleep after that and when i woke up i felt pain in my left arm and a small constant bothering pressure on my chest now this is not the first time this happens it occurs to me weekly last week i had like flutterings in my chest before that always pressure, short of breath and it was every week like this after cocaine use. I went to the hospital a few times 2 months ago they let me sleep in the hospital to monitor the heart and in the morning see a heart specialist who concluded that there was nothing wrong with my heart and it probably was just a panic attack, he recommended quiting cocaine and do something about my conditioning asap.
I didnt do cocaine for 2 weeks after that but then again the craving for it was too hard so i did it again, again the morning after pain on chest, left arm hurting so rushed to the hospital where they did heart scan and put me on monitor again concluded nothing was wrong, panic attack.
Again 2-3 weeks no usage.
When i used cocaine and went to bed after it, in the morning again similar pains but now with flutter feeling in my chest and reallly really the feeling like i could not be able to breathe for 2 seconds. This fluttering even occurd on normal days even if i did not use any, midweek when i was at work again fluttering, feeling like i could not breathe for seconds. I was really scared but i did not consider the hospital again because i called my doctor and visited him, he did a check up but not with any monitor just with a stethoscope and his hand on my wrist to count the heartbeat. He said everything looks fine you are just panicing, he prescripted me diazepam (valium) 5mg. I took it a couple of days but then stopped taking it because im paranoid thinking it will cause heart disease or stroke. After that 1 month of no cocaine, everything was fine, but i started again 2 weeks ago to a weekly basis. I did last saturday cocaine and a lottttt of alcohol but suprisingly i felt nothing the next morning. So i tought its finaly over so i did yesterday again cocaine but this time with mdma and alcohol. This time i party'd till the morning litteraly then i had sex and i noticed a increasing pressure on my chest while having sex but i ignored it but it still bothered me. After that i went home and fell asleep. In the midday when i woke up i felt this horrible pain in my left arm, pain on my chest, i said to myself calm down there is nothing to be afraid of. But i really really am afraid of a heart attack, i dont want to die :( earlier this week i had a dream about heart attacks i woke up sweating and paniced for hours till i calmed down. Now its 05:00 here the reason im asking you if im having a heart attack or not or is it considerable. Is because i just woke up in the middle of the night with pain on my chest and pain/numbness in my left arm. I took a valium 5 hours ago (5mg) im really scared i feel my heart is beating irregulary and its beating 74 per minute (measured with an app) and im expierincing pain help me doctor im scared to die. I dont want to live like this and i feel so alone like no one wants to help me. I even considered suicide because it would be a quicker and painless death than heaving a heart attack. Please doctor tell me what to do, should i get up and go to a hospital?
* note : im 19 years old and i weigh ~ 60 KG im on the skinny side i drink water alot and i take aspirins a lot because i red that i helps prevent heart disease.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for this question

Do you have any other medical issues?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No doctor i dont have any not that i know

Okay so this is not a heart attack

you are not going to die

is your pulse regular? feel your wrist or neck?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello doctor sorry for the late response, i fell asleep.Last night it felt like it was irregular like somethimes faster 2 beats then a slow one beat for 3 beats, then a fast beat like : beat... Beat... Beat.beat... Beat... Beat beat... And do so on...Now in the day my heart sometimes tingles like
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hello doctor, see pictures for heart rate
Thank you in advance

This is most likely normal variation with respiration

I think you are fine

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you doctor,But what is the explenation for the sudden fluttering in my chest and or small pressure just under my neck sometimes.
It really bothers me...
So im not at any risk of a heart attack?
What do you recommend for me to do?
Can your heart get stronger, if so, how and in what period i mean how long would u need to "train" for it to recover/ get stronger.
And what shouldn't i do?Thank you in advance doctor for your help and advice.

I think that is a PVC

this is an extra heart beat

they are common

I get them all the time

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave a positive rating above the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. Phil" in the medicine, cardiology or pharmacy categories if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

Thanks for using