Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

My 14 year old son is complaining about a sharp pain or

Customer Question

My 14 year old son is complaining about a sharp pain or pressure on his lower left abdomen. What could this be
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 8 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your son. There are a number of conditions which can poresent as lower left abdominal pain, in children this can be due to a problem with the kidneys. This would be true if there are additional symptoms like burning, urination, dark colored urine or even blood in the urine as well as increased frequency. This occurs due to a UTI or even due to a kidney stone, in children stones can occur because of a problem with the calcium metabolism. Simple urine tests and blood tests can diagnose the problem.

Another cause of this could be associated with an intestinal infection, especially if he also has diarrhea and/or vomiting. This can be bacterial or viral in nature. In viral infections, only supportive case is needed in the form of rehydration therapy whereas in bacterial infections antibiotics are used.

ANother thing which can cause pain of this sort is meckels diverticulum which is an abnormal growth in the intestine which can become infected and inflammed, usually the pain would occur on the right side but sometimes it can occur on the left side as well. Now i would recommend that since he has severe pain in the region and if he has tenderness as well, that is an indication that you should take him to urgent care where they can run tests and also do a clinical examination to rule out all of the above.

Do you have any more questions? Im open to any questions regarding this matter or if you have additional information about this.

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thanks for your reply. I feel none of the above is consistent to what he is explaining. As well none of the symptoms listed applies here

Apart from the pain does he have any other symptoms? Any tenderness in the area on pressing down on the region? is he passing adequate stools and gas?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
There is no tenderness in that region however he is saying he has not passed gas or stool. He said he has tried however nothing has happened

Thanks for the additional information.

Well if he has not passed gas or stool but feels the urge to do so, then it is possible he might have developed a blockage in the intestines. This would cause sharp pain in teh abdomen along with the constipation. This would be diagnosed on the basis of a simple abdominal xray as well as abdominal ultrasound. In most cases of blockage, the treatment can be conservative by withholding food and starting him on IV fluids. It is also possible that he might have partial blockage of the intestines in which case laxatives or an enema would solve the problem, but considering his absolute constipation (inability to pass gas), full blockage or intestinal obstruction needs to be ruled out with an abdominal xray. i would suggest that you do take him to urgent care.

One more possibility is that the sharp pain is due to an abdominal muscle spasm, if this is the case then it can be treated easily at home. This would require for you to give him increased amounts of water as well as electrolyte rich fluids. However i would still recommend the urgent care as treating an abdominal muscle spasm would require you to use ITC painkillers like tylenol etc which may worsen the blockage.

Do you have any more questions?

Is there anything else you would like to know?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will take him to urgent care. However to relieve the pain now, do you suggest I give him a laxative?

No without a complete examination, even a laxative may make matters worse. Laxatives shouldnt be used in complete obstruction as that can increase intestinal motility and since there is a blockage that would make the intestines work harder and may cause more pain. Take him to urgent care, as they can look at the symptoms directly and then give him IV painkillers if needed.