Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.

Was in hospital w/pleural effusion and developed resp

Customer Question

Was in hospital w/pleural effusion and developed resp failure. Intubated just over 24hr. Given IV steroids then switched to 40 mg daily. Last day in hospital I was still taking the 40. They told me not to bother weaning down. But just to take my 1mg every other day for my RA. I have still chest pain on inhale exhale but I also have terrible depression indigestion. No appetite. Jittery and very unwell. Do you think these are withdrawal from steroid and I should have weaned a bit from them? If so should I now wean down? Please help me I am desperate
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

short term use of steroids over 1-2 days, you usually don't have to taper down from 40mg of prednisone

if you are on steroids for longer periods of time, then you have to taper down.

steroids can cause gastritis and upset stomach. stomach acid reducers like zantac, maalox, mylanta, prilosec can help indigestion.

you need to find out why you developed pleural effusion.

if the fluid comes back in your lungs, this can cause chest pains.

do you have a history of smoking? or heart failure? heart failure or weakness can cause pleural effusion.

a lung cancer can cause pleural effusion as well. you may benefit from a PET/CT scan or a pleural biopsy to check for cancer in the pleural space.

let me know if you have questions.