Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

My husband has black stools, what does that mean?

Customer Question

my husband has black stools, what does that mean?
Category: Medical
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 4 months ago.

Hello

This is Dr.Bonilla, experienced in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care.

I understand your concerns. Black stools are concerning for gastrointestinal bleeding. Your husband must see your PCP ASAP. If he is dizzy or has bright red blood in stools he must go to the ER. Please rate my answer.

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. David replied 4 months ago.

This is Dr. David

cheese will not help him.

tar black stools means he is bleeding from his upper gastrointestinal system like his stomach or esophagus.

this bleeding is serious and he can loose a lot of blood over a short period of time if it is not addressed quickly by doctors.

he needs to see a GI specialist who can perform an upper endoscopy down into his esophagus and stomach and look for sources of bleeding and stop it before it continues to bleed more.

even if he is not dizzy or no bright red blood in stools, he should go to the emergency room and see a doctor right away.

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com