Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

My son is 47 and has been sick and seen doctors 3 times in

Customer Question

My son is 47 and has been sick and seen doctors 3 times in the last three weeks. His symptoms started around July 2. He has severe body aches, very weak, severe fatigue, ear ache, severe nausea (not vomiting, but feeling like he wants to all the time), sore throat, no fever, loss of appetite, upset stomach, dizziness. First doctor said viral - nothing can be done. Next doctor said ear infection because ears were swollen inside, and gave him Amoxicillian (sp?), ciprodex, Hydrocodon for pain and something for nausea. He's been on the antibiotic 5 days (he also got an IV in ER with antiobiotic, pain and nausea med. That helped for a while. Antiobiotic seems to have done nothing.
Went back to family doc yesterday. He sent him for a cat scan of the abdomen because when he pressed the sides of his abdomin it was painful.
Has follow up apt. tomorrow but is there anything he can do in the meantime to get some energy and stop the body aches. The symptoms seem to come and go. First the body aches and weakness came. Then ear ache, then nausea and dizziness. Body aches are slightly improved, nausea and dizziness are worse.
I am losing confidence in his family doctor and wonder what to do.
Will anything help relieve the body aches and give him some relief until they get to the bottom of this.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 months ago.

We do not replace the family doctor, we do not treat, or diagnose.

We answer questions.

I would push the can.

This might be more than one problem.

Amoxicillin is not a reliable antibiotic for ear infection that does not improve rapidly.

Augmentin is the better drug in this class.

he might have diverticulitis, inflammed pocket in the bowel as well.

This would need augmentin, and flagyl together.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here