Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I was a 35 year old when I suffered a pancreatic attack on

Customer Question

I was a 35 year old when I suffered a pancreatic attack on June 13th 2014. The pancrease started to necrotize shortly after and as a result I am left with 5% of the organ. I am healthy again and doctors say it was a miracle and their true success story. The doctors ruled out genetics, ruled out alcohol abuse, and ruled out gallstones. There no history of this in our family. I seldom consumed any alcohol. I am raising a young growing family and rarely ever consumed any. When the Sergeant removed my gallbladder, he could not locate any gallstones. The GI did see some shiny particles and that is all that was located. I underwent 14 operations within a 18 month period. The Pathology report read that the attack was caused from trauma. Before the attack, I was involved in a serious car accident that involved a semi truck and suffered 3 herniated disc on May 28th 2013. I was healthy with no known health problems before that date. When you go through something as traumatic as I went through, you want to know the answer of why. My team at the hospital repeatedly does not answer my questions about why they will not deem the car accident at fault even with the pathology report even though the accident is referenced throughout the entire hospital records . At the end of the day, I just want to know the answer whether if was from natural causes or from the accident. This case has often intrigued the doctors and staff at the hospital. My questions are as followed: How long can the pancreas be inflamed before it goes through an attack? My belief that it sat dormant and decided to show its ugly face. Who can I contact for a 3rd party to review the medical records to determine the cause? Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions. I am absolutely positive that this will intrigue you as well.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

this is an interesting case

here is an interesting article

trauma to the pancreas can be difficult to impossible to diagnosis sometimes. subtle signs on a CT scan may very well have been missed by your radiologist if you had a CT scan of your abdomen after your accident?

still, even with all of the information reviewed, no doctor can say for 100% that the auto trauma was the absolute cause of your pancreatitis.

some patients can still get spontaneous pancreatitis without any trauma or cause.

some patients can get autoimmune pancreatitis where their body makes antibodies which can attack the pancreas and cause inflammation.

the pancreatitis was about 2 weeks after the auto accident which makes it uncertain if the auto accident was the true cause of the pancreatitis or not

did your doctors check you for autoimmune pancreatitis? was there evidence of this when you had pancreatic surgery

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There was slightly over a year between may 28th 2013 to June 13th 2014. The doctors never mentioned anything on the auto immune.

I see

that is a long time from the trauma to the pancreatitis.

you should talk to your doctors about if it could have been autoimmune pancreatitis.

or else it could have just been spontaneous pancreatitis

and often times, the cause is not known for spontaneous pancreatitis.