DR.EHTISHAM
DR.EHTISHAM, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS
41140702

I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and my right

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and my right pointer finger is turning inward and is extremely painful. Is this typical of osteoarthritis or could it be RA?
JA: How long have you had the pain? What seems to make the pain better or worse?
Customer: I have had it off and on for a few years but the past few days it is noticeably worse and I can barely use it now due to pain. I am not using it now as I type-too painful
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and Lyme Disease
Category: Medical
Expert:  DR.EHTISHAM replied 11 months ago.

Hi

Welcome to JA and thanks for asking

Ostearthritis can lead to deformities of joints and there is a variety called erosive osteoarthritis which can produce bony deformities

Usually it is not difficult to differentiate RA from osteoarthritis as former has typical joint distribution with swelling and tenderness and most of the times it is a symmetric joint problem.The X-ray changes of RA are also quite typical and also blood tests like RA factor and anti-CCP antibodies are positive in 70-80 % of the patients with RA .Although Lyme disease in chronic stage can lead to joint disease but it is mainly a large joint disease.

So if you have an evaluation by the physician or a rheumatologist and he has ruled out possibility of an inflammatory arthritis like RA then you most likely have osteoarthritis

You can take some anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen or Naproxen with PPI and if it doesn,t relieve the pain do see your doctor for an examination

Good luck

Feel free to ask if you have any more question

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Regard

Good luck

Regards

Are you there ?

Do ask if you need any more information till you are satisfied

if you are done Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating

Regard