Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM. Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

Painless soft swelling in the throat, its wife, not seen all

Customer Question

painless soft swelling in the throat
JA: How severe is this?
Customer: its for my wife, not seen all the time. but in some posture we see
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: she is taking anticholenergics. parkins
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 8 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your wife.

This is likely to be the thyroid which can be swollen. in most cases female patients can have a painless swollen thyroid which may not even cause symptoms. However in some cases an enlarged thyroid can cause symptoms like palpitations, sweating, heat intolerance, diarrhea, hair loss, insomnia, increased appetite etc. The best way to diagnose if this is a thyroid related swelling would be with the help of a clinical examination and if needed that can be followed by thyroid function tests and an ultrasound of the neck.

Another cause of a painless swelling in this region is a thyroglossal cyst which is a benign cyst which usually needs no treatment at all. if this is the case again an examination would be diagnostic.

There are several other causes for swelling of these sorts, including simple things like lipomas or even a swollen lymph node. It would be best if you could attach a picture here so that i can narrow down the field a little. In any case you should take her to see your doctor who can determine which of these things it could be.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/