Dr. Phil, MD
Dr. Phil, MD, Medical Doctor
Experience:  Medical Doctor Trained at a Top Academic Institution
55099014

I have been having a serum GFR in the 40s and slight

Customer Question

I have been having a serum GFR in the 40s and slight increase in creatinine for at least 6 months. Since I did not fit in the high risk group I didn't worry too much until my sister, who is an NP, mentioned that it could be from all of the Nsaids I took for my bad back for 16 years. I took ibuprofen and then voltaren for many yrs. I developed a peptic ulcrt from voltaren so I was put on arthrotec. Since the arthrotec bothered my stomach a little, I stopped taking it regularly about a year ago and would only take it once in awhile. So now for pain I take Fentanyl 75 mcg patch and percocet 10/325 1 tab 4 x day. My question is, can I reverse any of this kidney damage? If so, how? If I can't reverse the damage, can I halt the progression so that I can live a normal life? I don't have any risk factors associated with kidney disease.
Thank You
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Phil, MD replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for this question

You might be able to reverse some

can you list all your meds?

and how long have you had this GFR? Just 6 months? Do you take anything OTC now?

Sorry about all the questions. I'm just gathering info

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 4 months ago.

Hello

Halting progression is possible, and reversing damage is possible in some cases.

First, you need a diagnosis which you do not have.

Diabetes, high blood pressure, autoimmune kidney disease, all need to be ruled out.

A high creatinine that has gotten worse is serious.

A GFR of 40 is serious.

This is not likely from nsaids alone.

See nephrologist immediately.

A vegetable protein only diet, or low protein diet, and ACE inhibitor medications are the mainstay of arresting kidney failure.

I am a double board certified US doctor.

Find Dr. thomas by request for all answers. I am here daily for fast, correct and up to date answers.

Please click a positive rating on the scale at the top of the page.

This page, and I will get paid by just answer.

still need help?