Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

I have folliculitis of the scrotum but the burning is

Customer Question

I have folliculitis of the scrotum but the burning is intensifying and all the creams and antibiotics have not worked
JA: How long have you been dealing with the burning? Are you experiencing any other discomfort?
Customer: Burning has recently started to increase and the is burning in my groin
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 3 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

A quick fix is to take sitz baths, which will require you to put about 6 to 8 inches of luke warm water in a tub and then put 20-30 ml of antiseptic solution like Povidone-Iodine in it, and then sit in it for 15-20 minutes three to four times a day. Cold packs can also help with the burning.

If the burning is due to the folliculitis then the only way to completely alleviate it is to cure the folliculitis. Medically, your doctor can prescribe Gabapentin gel which is used for relieving burning pain associated with neuropathy and also works on burning due to other causes.

Let me know if you have any other concerns.

Please do leave a positive rating for the service by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 months ago.

After all this treatment, you need a swab of the problem sent to the lab.

You need an antibiotic, maybe oral, that fits the tested drug sensitivitie.

Gabapentin is a pain reliever and does not cure folliculitis.

Glad to look at a picture here.

Dr. Thomas, double board certified clinical doctor.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here