Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

My husband just had a small tumor removed from s bladder. He

Customer Question

My husband just had a small tumor removed from his bladder. He has an artificial aortic valve and is on blood thinners. He is waiting to have open heart to repair an aortic aneurysm, do a triple bypass and receive a tissue valve. He is bridging with lovanox. It seems like he can't stay off of the blood thinners long enough for his bladder to heal. Cardiac surgeon won't do the surgery until bleeding stops. Is cauterization of the bladder incision an option?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 4 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Yes, the area can be cauterized. Most small bladder tumors are removed through a cystoscope, but it is also possible to perform cauterization through a cystoscope.

It is likely that they cauterized the base at the time of the tumor removal, but it may have been less effective because of the blood thinner, and they are trying to see if it will heal without having to do another procedure. However, if the bleeding persists, then doing another procedure is an option.

You should contact the Urologist that performed the tumor removal and ask whether it would be appropriate to consider another procedure at this point, or if it is preferred to wait, how long before another procedure would be considered.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.

Please let me know if I can provide any further assistance.