Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.

23 year old daughter with unintentional weight loss, loss of

Customer Question

23 year old daughter with unintentional weight loss, loss of appetite, anxiety, thinning of hair, SOB, pallor, anxiety, stomach distention to the point that strangers ask if she is pregnant. s/s started about 6 mos ago. no change is bowel habits although stool is loose or semi formed. no blood in stool. Dr appt next week but as a mother I am starting to get concerned.
JA: How long have you been dealing with this? Is there anything in particular that seems to make the symptoms better or worse?
Customer: weight loss started about 6 mos ago but we attributed to her moving out on her own and not being able to purchase a lot of snacks for her home. other s/s have seemed to increase over the last 3 mos and the concerned started about a month ago. she was approx 210lb 6 mos ago and is now approx 160-170.
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: mild IBS since she was young. no other medical Hx
Category: Medical
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. Bonilla, experienced in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care.

I understand your concerns. Weight loss and the symptoms your daughter has could be secondary to several conditions including, hyperthyroidism, anorexia, depression, celiac disease, malabsorption. For now the best approach is to see her PCP and have a full assessment done. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 3 months ago.

The other expert has opted out.

Is there any further information that would be helpful?