Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine
61817858

What is the difference between Percocet and Lortab? I'm post

Customer Question

What is the difference between Percocet and Lortab? I'm post knee arthroplasty and taking Percocet prior to physical therapy. It does a great job at pain control; problem is that I have a horrible time sleeping/staying asleep. Doctor gave me a script today for Lortab. Wondering how it will do for me.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 months ago.

Hi there. Lortab is a combination medication that includes hydrocodone (also found in norco) and acetaminophen (Tylenol). Percocet has oxycodone and acetaminophen. They are both narcotic analgesics.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 months ago.

Today, both hydrocodone and oxycodone are schedule II drugs. Schedule II drugs have a high potential for being abused, and may lead to addiction, withdrawal problems, etc, if used in excess.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 months ago.

While both are comparable pain killers, at least one study found that the combination of oxycodone and acetaminophen was 1.5 times more potent than hydrocodone with acetaminophen when taken at equal doses.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 6 months ago.

If the lortab does not provide sufficient analgesia for you to sleep well, ask your doctor for a sleeping aid to use until your pain from the surgery subsides. Going back on the trazodone, which is sedating and often used for sleep, may help you to sleep sounder and longer. As an alternative, low dose ambien can be very helpful short term to help one fall asleep more readily and maintain a normal sleep/wake cycle.