Family Physician, Doctor
Experience:  Emergency Medicine and Family Practice for over 26 years

I have been diagnosed with blocked salivary gland duct by

Customer Question

I have been diagnosed with blocked salivary gland duct by dentist & xrays. I cant get surgery until Aug. 1st(2+ weeks away)..Meanwhile, I have a bad canker sore next to this
that the dentist says the only cure is having a surgeon remove the blockage. That will be
done by Aug. 1st (2+ weeks away). This sore is very painful. Is there any treatment that
would get rid of the sore? My MD tried Prednisone for a week to no avail. I tried to get the
dentist to give me Debacterol, but he says that wont cure the blockage. X rays said it is
not cancerous. Any suggestions, other than Oragel, that might get rid of this sore??
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

most cancer sores are caused by oral herpes viral infection.

usually improving your sleep, eating healthier, more fruits and vegetables, a multivitamin, and drinking more water can help your immune system heal up the canker sore.

you can also ask your doctor for antiviral medications like acyclovir which can help kill virus in your body and shorten the length of oral viral herpes canker sore

let me know if you have questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No thanks.,Mine,is not a herpes virus sore.
Its a canker,like sore, caused,by the adjacent blocked salivary gland duct. I had
already done a week,of Prednisone that didnt work. I asked a dentist for Debacterol. He refused that, and would,only refer to a dental surgeon. I asked you if there was a drug to get rid of
the sore, which is very,painful.,I didnt see
an answer to that question.

I see.

ask your doctor for sucralfate (Carafate) to see if it can help cover the area and help heal up the canker sore

colchicine could help as well

you can read more there.