Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

I am having seepage of stool w/ a lof mucous... and I 't

Customer Question

I am having seepage of stool w/ a lof mucous... and I don't realize it. I am changing my underwear 3 or 4 times a day. I do think I have Irritable bowel but in last few weeks I am having seepage and lack of control. The same problem with voiding - leakage. I have chronic back problems and wonder if there is some kind of neurogenic bowel/bladder issue. I am 70 years old, very active, and healthy otherwise but am becoming paranoid because of bowel/bladder issues. I will be traveling in Oct. for a medical mission trip. This will be my 5th year of traveling to Africa.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 4 months ago.

Hello

This is often due to constipation.

Hard stool is in the way, soft stool gets around it and there is constant pressure.

Urinary incontinence has many reason.

Lower spine issues can deaden nerve pathways, but usually not to cause this unless very severe and at the right levels.

I suggest the following

A. Evaluation by your medical doctor.

B. Evaluation by an MD specialist in physical medicine and rehabilitation.

Often both problems can be help with the correct physical therapies.

Particularly given the back problems, this doctor, who is a medical doctor specializing in structure, and often be of most help.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/

Hello

This is high, and will need to be addressed.

Keep a log of two reading a day.

It is not dangerously high at this point.

If it gets to greater than 179/109, then you should seek immediate attention