DIEGO BONILLA
DIEGO BONILLA, Doctor
Experience:  Pulmonary/ Critical Care at Boston University
93381398

2006 diagnosed in Mayo Clinic with moderate to severe sleep

Customer Question

2006 diagnosed in Mayo Clinic with moderate to severe sleep apnea. Subsequently, local doctor said no indication of sleep apnea. My weight gain is unbelievable. Conscious of caloric intake. I have chronic insomnia. Medications do not aid sleep for more than one or two days. Suggested I have undiagnosed auto immune disorder. Totally frustrated and confused as to options to treat conditions.
Category: Medical
Expert:  DIEGO BONILLA replied 11 months ago.

Hello

This is Dr. Bonilla, experienced in Internal Medicine, Pulmonary and Critical Care.

I understand your concerns. Sleep apnea usually requires treatment with a CPAP. The best approach for now is to obtain the sleep study and get an appointment with an sleep clinic. The sleep clinic will prescribe the machine if your study shows the severe sleep apnea. If you don't have the study the clinic can repeat the study and start treatment ASAP. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
This information is the standard protocol. I am fully familiar with the CPAP. I have used the nasal pillow and mask. The sleep studies vary in results. This has not resolved anything. The weight gain initiated with the use of prednisone. Sleep and off label medication were of negligible benefit. I am now preparing to have cortisol levels checked. Cushing 'like" symptoms suggested. Follow-up pending. Immunologist consult appears indicated to explore if adrenaline gland over producing.

I think looking for cushing syndrome is a priority. You should also check on checking the pressure and setting on the CPAP. Sometimes is a ggod idea to repeat an sleep study specially if the last one was more than a year ago.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Why is cushings syndrome a priority? What is clinical basis? I have two CPAP machines. One at set level of 9, the other varies up to 17.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thus far, information too generic. Has not provided new or original insight.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Have you concluded this session??