Dr. Rick, MD
Dr. Rick, MD, Board Certified MD
Experience:  20+ years as a doctor. Internal Medicine Internship in NYC
48069651

Without coughing, upon wake up, I can feel drainage in back

Customer Question

Without coughing, upon wake up, I can feel drainage in back of throat and mucus with blood spits out, seems to occur after I rest. My gums aren't the best and my ears have been plugged butbut when I had a doc visit a brief glance they said don't see infection in ears or throat but u have some fluid behind ear...I have upcoming surgery for hiatal hernia so trying to be as healthy as I can and resolve this mucus issue
JA: How long have you been dealing with the cough? Are you having any other symptoms?
Customer: No cough. It's just there upon wake up. Sometimes it's the taste that wakes me up
JA: Anything else in your medical history you think the doctor should know?
Customer: I've never done any drugs or alcohol. About a year ago I cracked a tooth. Have not seen a dentist. When I had trouble breathing a hiatal hernia was diagnosed. I told dr about this but they look with a flashlight and don't say much more.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Doctor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Rick, MD replied 4 months ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with premium services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

How old are you?

M/F?

how long has this been going on for?

Any pain?

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Female, 50. No pain. Been diagnosed with hiatal hernia. Awaiting surgery

Thank you for that additional information.

I agree with you: It would be a good idea to get to the bottom of this bloody mucus problem before your hernia surgery.

So. What to do?

As you have mentioned that your gums are not in the best of shape they could very well be the source of this bloody mucus that you are experiencing when you wake up.

I would suggest you see a DDS for a complete oral exam. She will be able to diagnose any problem in your mouth and anterior throat (much better then your primary care MD can do with a brief glance) and get things in order for your upcoming surgery.

If the DDS does not find the source of your problem, then the next step would be to consult with an ENT doctor for a complete exam.

Unfortunately, from what you have posted, I do not feel this is something you can take care of on your own at home nor do I think it is going to improve without professional intervention.

Should you postpone your hernia surgery? That is a tough question. I'd check with the DDS first and then contact your hernia surgeon and let her know what is going and and see is she thinks surgery should be delayed.

Does this make sense to you?

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS