Dr. Muneeb Ali
Dr. Muneeb Ali, Intensivist
Experience:  MBBS, MD, MCCM.Currently working in Critical Care Medicine with 10 year experience in Medicine
22950887

I have a bean sized lump on my anus. I thought it was

Customer Question

I have a bean sized lump on my anus. I thought it was hemorrhoids, but it hasn't responded to steroids or otc treatment. 3 weeks in duration. Ulcerated at onset but nothing now. Mother was misdiagnosed (hemorrhoids) for 2 years and ended up losing most of her colon. Next step?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Muneeb Ali replied 4 months ago.

Im sorry to hear about your symptoms. Now presence of a lump on the anus can certainly be a hemorrhoid and some hemorrhoids dont respond to OTC treatment. Infact most hemorrhoid symptoms can be controlled with the OTC treatment but they dont disappear with it. The only way to get rid of a hemorrhoid would be to get surgery or banding or laser treatment done which would definitively remove it.

The next step here would be to get a rectal exam along with a proctoscopy to determine if this is a hemorrhoid or a bacterial infection which appeared as a lump and then ulcerated. In such cases it would also cause pain as well as redness in the region alongwith bleeding. The treatment would be with antibiotics. There are other conditions which can appear in this way as well. But the next step is the exam and proctoscopy and if they are inconclusive a colonoscopy would be done.

I would suggest that you visit your doctor and have this evaluated so a diagnosis can be made and treatment started for this condition. hemprrhoids are easy to treat with the above interventions which i mentioned along with other methods like sclerotherapy.

Do you have any more questions?

Please leave a POSITIVE (3 – 5 stars, preferably 5) rating by clicking on the stars above, until you do i am not compensated for my time. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the POSITIVE rating. You can also ask questions from me directly by going on the link below,

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-muneeb-ali/

Would you to know anything else? If done for now, please remember to leave a positive rating as that is the only way we are compensated for our time spent helping you. You can continue to ask follow-up questions even after the rating.