Dr Uzair
Dr Uzair, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS (R) General Surgery. Years of experience in Emergency Medicine.
27273415

I have a bad cough,and sinus,feeling real tired. I think it

Customer Question

I have a bad cough,and sinus,feeling real tired. I think it should be viral ,no fever yet. yellow mucous .
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr Uzair replied 10 months ago.

Hi and thanks for the query.

Most of the times the upper respiratory tract infections are viral but they do present with high grade fever at their onset. The most concerning thing here is the yellow mucus which is signifying a concomitant lower respiratory tract infection as well. Anyone above 60 years of age with productive cough and symptoms of low grade fever, lethargy, loss of appetite and nausea should be evaluated for lower respiratory tract infections like pneumonia.

I would suggest that you have this seen and examined by your PCP, a chest examination, chest xray and examination of the nose and throat needs to be done. The sputum needs to be expectorated and sent for a culture to identify the causative organism and you will require antibiotics for this. Mean while, you should start on steam inhalations thrice or four times a day with menthol crystals for 15 minutes each session and cough the sputum out. A nasal decongestant spray available OTC will alleviate the sinus congestion and bed rest and plenty of water for hydration.

Let me know if you have further questions.
Please do leave a positive rating for the service, by clicking on the stars on top of the screen.

Regards.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'M DISAPPOINTED, I THOUGHT YOU WOULD TELL ME OR GIVE ME SOMETHING FOR MY COUGH AND THE YELLOW MUCAS. I'M TAKING ZERTEC FOR MY ALLERGIES,BECAUSE I FEEEL THAT IS WHAT STARTED ALL THIS. MY THROAT IS NOW SORE. I PAID YOU FOR NOTHING TO HELP ME. THANK YOU