DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

I'm a 77 year old female who has been suffering dizziness

Customer Question

I'm a 77 year old female who has been suffering dizziness and lightheadedness, along with poor balance. Went to ER twice and was given a CAT scan which was normal along with normal blood work.
There was a a recommendation to see an ENT if problem continued which it has for a week since going to the ER.
There is no ENT with open appointments until September. I would like any recommendation you may have. Thanks
Category: Medical
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 7 months ago.

Hi

We can not treat you or diagnose you on line, for obvious reasons.

The reason they said ENT is because they think there is an inner ear poblem.

You need a diagnosis to know what treatment is needed.

In fact, if this is viral infection , it can last up to 6 weeks, and meclazine can help with this.

But apparently the ER did not give you an initial diagnosis.

Dizziness can also be from

heart problems: with the rhythm

Nervous system problems

Brain problems

So this is an area of many potential causes.

I would talk with your regular doctor, see if he wants to prescribe meclazine.

But you need an EKG if not done, and a 24 hour holter monitor to watch the heart for that time.

Balance training could be started, in theory, if this is from extensive arthritis [bad propioceptive feedback] and in some other problems.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-thomas/