Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc

After my last two surgeries i could not urinate and had a

Customer Question

After my last two surgeries i could not urinate and had a catheter when i left the hospital. Is there any anesthesia that does not cause this problem for general surgery of the back Thank you Don Mackey***@******.***
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. David replied 3 months ago.

This is Dr. David

sorry you have not been able to urinate after surgery.

at your age, you could have a very enlarged prostate gland.

this needs to be checked.

with a very enlarged prostate gland, and with anesthesia, that could be enough to cause you not to be able to urinate

you may need medications to help shrink the size of your prostate

you should see a urologist

medications like proscar or avodart could help shrink your prostate gland.

medications like flomax and hytrin could help you urinate better usually as well.

changing the anesthesia for your general surgery will most likely not make a difference

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating of 3-5 stars so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me directly with "a question for Dr. David" in the medicine or oncology categories if you have other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me:

Thanks for using

Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 3 months ago.

I am Dr. thomas, a double board certified US doctor. Your question was about the best type of surgery, not to affect bladder, prostate, etc. I will get to that, and give you a comprehensive answer.

Use reply if you have questions, also please don't forget a positive rating, which will get me paid by just answer for my expertise. I am a clinical [hands on] doctor of over 20 years experience. Please rate on this post to credit me. OK, here goes.

In fact it is often the catheter placed during surgery that causes problems.

Ask them about this, and ask them to watch it with the size of the catheter.

Surgeons in fact tend to blame this on the prostate gland, but in fact the catheter will exacerbate and problem there.

In addition, the surgery itself often causes paralysis to the bowels and bladder temporarily.

This is exacerbated by pain medications.

Getting off any narcotics fast will help with this.

Reducing the trauma of surgery by getting microdisc surgery/laser center surgery, if indicated, will also affect the time you need any catheter, and drastically shorten it. So ask about this as well.

Additional information: I shrink prostate glands in my integrative practice routinely. I can go into this, which is a different topic, if you find me by request in medical on a new post.

All prostate medications have side effects that can happen. Check this on any specific

medication you might be prescribed, and check interactions with any other medications. I realize this is not what you asked, and that we don't know if you have prostate problems or not.

OK, so you might have more questions or want to give me more information: Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. Also, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent—that’s how we are paid, per rating]. If you forgot something, just use reply and come back. I am here