Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

Piece of hot dog stuck in esophagus since Friday night.

Customer Question

Piece of hot dog stuck in esophagus since Friday night. Can't drink or eat. How can I get it to move.
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 5 months ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Generally speaking, when someone has a piece of food that has remained stuck in the throat for 2-3 days and is continuing to be unable to eat and drink for that time, it is better for that person to be seen urgently.

For food stuck in the esophagus, it is reasonable to try to drink water, or if water will not go down to try gargling with water. Using warm water may be more effective than cold or tap water. It also may help to try swallowing something soft, such as a small piece of bread, but this also assumes that it can get down.

However, these interventions are generally intended for someone in whom the food has been recently stuck. When the food has been stuck for 2-3 days, it is less likely that these interventions will help.

If I can provide any additional information, please let me know.