Dr. Bob
Dr. Bob, Medical Doctor
Experience:  20 Years in Internal Medicine, Neurology and Sports Medicine

About a month ago, I cleaned a very dusty classroom out (I

Customer Question

About a month ago, I cleaned a very dusty classroom out (I am a kindergarten teacher). I wore myself out for two weeks to get it done, and didn't eat or sleep well. I had a dry cough which turned into a cough where I coughed up yellow, and white mucous and the cough sounded very bronchial. I went to Med Express and he diagnosed me with Acute Bronchitis. I was prescribed with 5 days of 40 mg of prednisone, but was only able to take it for 3 days due to my anxieties. I was also prescribed one spray of Flonase in each nostril. After stopping the prednisone, I was prescribed a 10 day course of amoxicillin. Now here I am a month later, the bronchial sound is gone, but I am still coughing up yellow mucous, my throat is very itchy, and my neck is sore on either side of my esophagus (although I am not sure if that has anything to do with it bc my shoulders are sore as well and I have anxiety). I am taking 600 mg of mucinix in the morning and still using the 1 spray of Flonase. What do you think is going on with me?
Category: Medical
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Hi cjerome. Have your symptoms been present continuously for the entire month, or did you improve a few days and then relapse? Also, do you have any swollen glands or lymph nodes along the sides of your neck?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can say that after taking the antibiotic and also taking 2 mucinix in the mornings, It did get better for a couple days, but when I stopped the mucinix the mucous came back. I don't cough a lot it is only occasional. The itchy throat is new and I could almost feel the congestion is behind my nose in my throat area (which is also new), but I do not have a stuffy nose. My lymph nodes are not swollen as far as I am aware. Oh I forgot a symptom, my throat sounds hoarse.
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

There are several considerations. One would be a sinus that did not completely clear with the amoxicillin (proper treatment often requires several weeks of antibiotics). Another would be a residual tracheobronchitis in which the original bronchitis clears but the damage and inflammation in the airway takes several weeks or months to clear completely. Another possibility would be allergic rhinosinusitis resulting in postnasal drip that is related to an ongoing exposure in your environment.

Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

Further testing that might be helpful would be a sinus CT to look for infection in the sinuses and/or sputum cultures to look for infection in the chest.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am only asking this bc I have horrible anxieties when I have an illness. Do you think any of my symptoms sound like a cancer since I have been coughing up mucous for almost a month?
Expert:  Dr. Bob replied 3 months ago.

No, this is not the way cancer presents. This is more consistent with infection or allergies. I would suggest you ask your doctor for a chest X-ray for added reassurance. If you were getting a sinus CT, you could ask that they include a chest CT as well.